Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Suburban Beauty

I went bike-riding today, and on my way home I stopped by the little man-made Bethany Lake (which is more like an oversized pond) a mile or so from our house. In summer, the water can be a bit stagnant, but after all our recent rain, the water level was of course much higher, and it looked much more like a real lake. I stood on the shore for a few minutes, quite alone, and just watched the ducks. They expected food and so congregated near me, and I saw their trails in the water spreading behind them in extended Vs, and was able to observe their habits and coloration much closer than I usually take the time to get. Watching a drake paddle around and then scratch his green head with a webbed foot was amusing--and not something that I see every day.

I like quiet moments like these, when even an artificial suburban lake has its own kind of beauty.

--------

For those interested, my presents were as follows:

  • A CD of four Beethoven piano sonatas performed by Artur Rubinstein
  • Terminator 2
  • A wine red turtleneck
  • A forest green sweater vest
  • Piccadilly Jim, by P.G. Wodehouse
  • The Last Battle, by Cornelius Ryan (unlike Lewis' final Narnian novel, this chronicles the Battle of Berlin)
  • Colossus Reborn: The Red Army 1941-1943, by David M. Glantz
  • The Dangerous Book for Boys, by Gonn and Hal Iggulden (a delightful book that I'm looking forward to having my sons read some day as much as reading myself)
  • War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy, in the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation (HUGE book!!)
  • A pair of earmuffs, which has already proven useful--it was 28 degrees tonight.

And that is the lot. I hope everyone had a merry time celebrating the birth of Christ!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

It's interesting how many people have gotten War & Peace this Christmas. I know of at least one other, besides myself and you. It's rather surprising. XD

Sir David M. said...

Looks like we both predominately received books and music. One can never have too many or much of those, I suppose. ;-)

I read The Dangerous Book for Boys not long ago. I'd never known that paper couldn't be folded more than seven times before. :-D I learned something else rather more useful, but I can't remember just what it was now...

Han said...

The Dangerous Book for Boys is great fun; I want to read The Daring Book for Girls and see if it's as good. I have my doubts. :)

I like your list of presents, it's so not typical. :D My two big highlights were an Amish-made hope chest and a couple of harmonicas. Counter-cultural ftw.

Anonymous said...

that was beautiful. :)