Sunday, February 3, 2008

Enza Ousted by Government Forces After Short Coup

Thank you for your prayers, my friends! The Gorgon Enza is relinquishing her hold with extreme reluctance, but that she is relinquishing it is beyond question. :) We missed church as a family today for the first time in about 14 years, barring trips (on which we've tried to find a local church anyway) and one closed highway. That was unfortunate, but I'm thankful that we are healthy and safe enough to go as regularly as we do!

I'm having to catch up on some school over this weekend, but 'tis not a monumental amount, and not much of it requires exceptional concentration or acumen. I'm finding The Scarlet Letter interesting. Being a 19th century romantic novel, it feels heavily overblown compared to modern writing, and the symbolism and foreshadowing is often so obvious that Hawthorne can feel like a sneaky reviewer spoiling his own plot--but it's rather fun, nevertheless, despite its rather skewed vision of the Puritans. Hawthorne does seem to be a fairly good observer of human nature, and his style, which is a deliberate throwback to the 17th century, is chock full of long sentences, archaic language and phrasing, and spellings like "clew" for clue. I don't know if readers in Hawthorne's day were just not expected to be as perceptive as now, or if keeping readers guessing wasn't the point--but in any case, it's an interesting read.

I'm also having a lot of fun with Kiriana...I think this chapter I just finished (except for a bit of editing) is going to be the last really peaceful one for quite a while!

4 comments:

Elisabeth M said...

Glad you're recovering!

I really enjoyed the Scarlet Letter - Especially Dr. McM's discussions on it. Very, very intriguing. We discussed a lot about the symbols in it compared to Moby Dick, and Hawthorne's authorial tone.

And yay for another Kiri chapter!

Sir David M. said...

Huzzah for another chapter!

And I'm quite glad that your feeling better.

Stephanie Marie said...

I finished The Scarlet Letter about three or four weeks ago. (It was required reading for a literature class.) Oh good grief! It drove me crazy: constantly making me want to question my beliefs, even though I knew the characters were wrong! By the way, I'm one of Elisabeth's friends...I saw your mention of TSL, and had to say something! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Connor, may I leave a suggestion for your reading list? If you ever read Christian fantasy or allegory, like C.S. Lewis, you might like "Outcasts of Skagaray" by Andrew Clarke. For more info, look up www.threeswans.com.au Best wishes from one child of God to another.