Monday, June 2, 2008

Summer Reading Challenge 2008



My mom, over at her blog, has been hosting seasonal reading challenges for some time, and I figure I ought to get on board! Already, compiling books to read, I agree with her that intentional reading produces better results, even if the list is not fully finished. I fancy I will be adding more to this after my birthday, provided some of my presents are of the bookish kind, which I'm sure some will be. I may have to subtract one or two to make room. I cannot guarantee in what order I will actually read them, but here is the list:

--So Brave, Young, and Handsome (Leif Enger)
--The Language of God (Ron Julian, David Crabtree, Jack Crabtree)
--Cyrano de Bergerac (Edmond Rostand)
--A Doll's House (Henrik Ibsen)
--The Master of Ballantrae (Robert Louis Stevenson)
--Night (Elie Wiesel)
--The Double (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
--The Gambler (Dostoyevsky)
--Piccadilly Jim (P.G. Wodehouse)
--To the Last Man: A Novel of World War I (Jeff Shaara)
--The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte)
--A Bridge Too Far (Cornelius Ryan)
--The Silmarillion (J.R.R. Tolkien)
--Cymbeline (William Shakespeare--all below by the same author)
--Othello
--Henry VIII
--King John
--Pericles, Prince of Tyre
--Timon of Athens
--Titus Andronicus
--Troilus and Cressida
--Two Gentlemen of Verona

If you weren't already planning to join said challenge, you should consider it. Reading is wonderful! :-)

1 comment:

Sir David M. said...

Looks like a goodly list. I started The Master of Ballantrae, but for some reason didn't finish. It was interesting, from what I recall. To The Last Man is probably one of Shaara's better books, I think.