Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Well, I suppose I ought to post something or other. It doesn't feel any different being 18 than it does being 17, except for the pleasant feeling of being able to buy one's own ammunition, which I will probably be doing soon. :-) My gifts were as follows:

--The Magic Flute, by Mozart (from Robert)
--A movie version of Twelfth Night, with Helena Bonham-Carter, Imogen Stubbs, and Nigel Hawthorne
--The Gladiator soundtrack (I've had the far inferior "More Music From Gladiator" CD for a while; this one is considerably better)
--Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse :D
--Several shirts and a really spiffy tie
--Some black dress shoes (from my grandparents)
--Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World: 3000 BC to AD 500 (from David--a very cool book, and useful as well)
--Otello, a filmed version at the Metropolitan Opera with Placido Domingo and Renee Fleming (from Lindsey)

A book from PaperBackSwap (an online book exchange service where one sells unwanted books for credits which can then be used to purchase any book another user has posted) also arrived a few days ago unexpectedly, so it was kind of like a birthday present: When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler by David M. Glantz. A very 'me' sort of book. ;-)

Beyond that, I've been doing usual stuff, having fun resuscitating Immortality yet again--it dies surprisingly often, given its title--and having not so much fun getting trounced by Robert at Axis and Allies. After I lost Moscow, London, and Washington, D.C. to Axis might, we started a World War III feud between Germany and Japan. Japan is losing, and, you guessed it, I am the proxy Hirohito. Alas...

I hope everyone else is well. Adieu for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can fully sympathize with the Axis and Allies experience, as I just got trounced yesterday by a syndicate of two in a 7 hour marathon.

Happy 18! I hope you buy lots of ammo! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I'm going to steal "The Magic Flute" from you! :-)