Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In Which My Raincoat is Vanquished

Two nights ago our area was lacerated by several hours of strong rain, and the clouds' grief just so happened to coincide with the entirety of our walk. I was formerly fairly confident of my raincoat's ability to do its part against the elements, but evidently it had never met this class of rainstorm before. I mean, really, it's made by Columbia Sportswear, you'd think it could keep my chest dry.

I suppose it didn't help that I decided late in the game to put up my hood, only to find that it had filled up with water, which promptly slid under my collar and down my chest. That was fun! :P

Perhaps going to Hillsdale will provide good excuse for procuring a more robust liquid-repelling garment. I fancy that a chilly February here will feel toasty compared to what Michigan can offer. To show what I mean: Detroit's average monthly high/low during January, according to Wikipedia, is 31/18. February is a roasting 34/20. For the same months, Portland averages 46/37 and 50/39. Yep, I'm going to need a bigger coat.

Drenching rainshowers. Sub-sixty-degree nights. At the end of August? Is someone toying with nukes over the Pacific? :-D But I'm not complaining: the weather is actually predicted to be very nice, and I would rather it be unusually cool than unusually hot.

Cheerio! Oh, and if you like, hop on over to my new "intellectual development" blog, The Quintessence of Dust. It will be expanded and further posted upon shortly, but by way of explanation this is a blog I am developing as part of an assignment for my AP English Language and Composition Class. I'm not going mad and trying to keep up three blogs just because. ;-)

1 comment:

Elisabeth M said...

I managed to finally get a raincoat just a few weeks ago that wasn't older than me.

It's worth the money, haha, to get a good gortex shell raincoat, and then a thicker warmer coat that you can layer underneath. Layer = good.

And I should know. I look like a sausage half the winter 'cause I'm aaaaaalllwaaays cold. *grin*

I actually like this weather fairly well. It's a great relief from two weekends ago. . . when it was in the 90s with a ton of humidity. Not that bad if you have air condition, but if you don't...oi. Fun. =P