Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Service Startlingly Interrupted

EDIT: I suppose I can't say I don't know any of the circumstances whatsoever--I was given to understand from a churchgoer about as much as Kristoff guessed, that the man was a member who had some "angers" in his life. I believe the pastor explained the situation after the service, but we left quickly and I didn't hear it. I still don't know anything about the specific situation, like why he called everyone hypocrites, though--which did sound a lot like something out of a movie. :-P (end edit)

Today turned into the strangest church service I've ever attended. For more than an hour the service (not at our regular church) proceeded entirely as normal, but right before the end, during the singing of the last song, a man came up to the stage and hurled the entire communion table, with all the elements on it, bodily off the edge of the stage with a huge crash. I had been paying attention to the song and hadn't even seen him coming, so the first thing I knew about was the crash. The man began shouting, "You're hypocrites, all of you!" Then, as several of the men ran forward to take him away, he said, "No, you're going to hear this!" Four of the men wrestled him out through the side door, and that was all. We're not members of the church, so I don't know the circumstances, but it was certainly a strange and slightly unsettling interruption.

In other news, I'm going to drive on a highway for the first time today. So far, driving is progressing well and at a swift rate. It's easier than I thought it would be, but still, if there's any time you're feeling lazy, drive. The level of concentration you need to maintain will kick you into high energy mode in about five seconds. :-)

4 comments:

Han said...

Sounds like a great scene for a story... :) I'm thankful nobody was hurt-- kind of makes you think of all those gunmen who have entered churches and opened fire!

Anonymous said...

How strange! I agree, the first thing I thought was "That sounds like a scene from a movie or a book!" I wish I knew the backstory for THAT one.

Just wait till you get comfortable driving - then you go on autopilot and it's actually a bit dangerous to drive if you're tired or feeling lazy. Trust me, I've had some narrow shaves!

Sir David M. said...

Odd, that. Makes me think of Cromwell. I don't suppose anyone said anything about it after the service?

Anonymous said...

Have fun on the highway! Sounds like a pretty interesting experience in Church. Perhaps some bitter former member? Hmm...

Oh, and I finished the Motel, comments to come.