Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Two Trailers: One Awful, One Interesting

This trailer looks like another adaptation of a low-profile, dark graphic novel with a cult following: the sort of thing the movie industry turns to after they've run out of Batmen, Supermen, Spidermen, Iron Men, X-Men, and all other sorts of men. And when they're straining to reach that 18-25 immature males demographic which continues to drink up a healthy mix of dark (yet cheesy) revenge drama, highly improbable combat stunts and...gryphons. And of course women taking their tops off. Can't forget that.

I'll give this one a 8.5 on the King Kong-meter. It lacks the traditional pompous narrator and uninspired text headings, but the supernatural elements are...um...odd, to say the least.

This one, on the other hand, looks interesting--a bit reminiscent of 3:10 to Yuma in some ways, one of those newfangled "realistic" westerns. Plus it has Ed Harris, who is more or less an intrinsically cool actor. ;-) And Jeremy Irons occupying himself with something a lot more interesting than the Eragon movie.

2 comments:

Sir David M. said...

The first one hardly warrant's comment. :-P The second one looks quite interesting, however. I've always liked Westerns, and I'm pleased to see the genre reviving, especially if they continue to employ such acting talent. There were just a few too many "tough guy" lines, but Ed Harris has talent enough to pull those off reasonably well.

And did you get my last email with the comments?

Breanna said...

I've never even heard of Max Payne before.
I'm not a big fan of westerns(considering I've only seen one) but this looks like an interesting movie. Ed Harris is one of my favorite actors. The last time I saw a movie with Jeremy Irons, I was 11, and it was The Lion King :-P.