Thursday, July 24, 2008

Connor movet ultra ambulatione

EDIT II: Evidently the Wikipedia link I gave didn't work, so, the car I'm learning on is a Toyota Avalon. Never mind, it does show. Just don't include the period in the link when pasting it, like I did!

EDIT: I got up to 35 mph today and backed up into a parking space (though not at that same speed). I'm liking this driving thing! :D

Well, I moseyed over to the DMV today, passed my test, and got my learner's permit. I also got registered to vote. Woot! So when we go for our walk tonight Dad's going to let me take a (very slow) spin around the parking lot and get this here driving business started off on the right foot. Please pray that I don't shear off any side mirrors or scrape the bumper. :-P I look forward to seeing you on the road soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's awesome Connor, stay safe and have some fun!

Sir David M. said...

Bene! I can't imagine that you'd be at all bad at it.

Breanna said...

Sweet! Hope you enjoy driving.

Sir David M. said...

What have you been driving, by the way?

Gillian said...

Glad you're enjoying learning to drive, Connor! It was pretty scary for me at first (our mini van suddenly felt really, really big...) but I love it now!

(Did you see my comment on your Dark Knight post, by the way? I'm interested to see what you would say to it.)

Connor Hamilton said...

I have been driving a car that looks exactly like this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:2005-07_Toyota_Avalon.jpg.


Things do feel different from the driver's seat, Gillian, don't they? Learning parking, I suddenly found myself 99% sure my left bumper was going to hit the concrete.

I think to really answer your DK comments I would have to go see it again. But I have some things written up that I want to finish and go over before I post them here, to make sure they are actually accurate and coherent. :-P

Robert said...

Isn't it fun (for a while, anyway)? I got up to 70 mph today, but I didn't back into my space. I like to, though, because then leaving is so blissfully easy.

Oh, and I still hit the curb half the time. Mostly when I'm trying to parallel park swiftly outside of church. No harm done. :) And once I tried to drive over a planter that I didn't realize was in front of my parking spot (a weird trick of perspective). It was amusing; I almost got stuck there. Haha.