Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight

Initial consensus: pretty disappointing. The movie must have had a huge budget, what with multiple explosions, car chases, about six fights, and of course its high-profile cast. It was well-made and all, as one would expect. The acting was good enough: Ledger definitely developed a pretty fearsome character in the Joker. But for all that, the movie was too long, somewhat disjointed, oppressively dark, anticlimactic, and actually rather short on the character who gave the film its name, the dark knight himself. Continuity with the last film is rather tenuous: while Batman Begins may have had its dark moments, this seemed more like a horror-thriller, focusing with wearisome intensity on the truly depraved character of The Joker. The film was like a morass of evil, and a lot of it was improbable: the Joker basically unravels the entire legal and law enforcement structure of a city at least the size of Chicago, and he manages to do so with almost perfect immunity because everything goes right for him.

Maybe it's a fair comparison to say that Batman Begins, though no lighthearted film, had a sense of balance. It was cool. It brought gravity to the character of Batman. The Dark Knight brought a kind of unpleasant gruesomness to the story and seemed more like a biopic on a psychopath than an action film. The moral message at the end was also unconvincing, probably rather unlikely, and failed to illuminate the almost unmitigated darkness of the film.

Maggie Gyllenhal seemed like even more of a throwaway character than in the first movie, a less convincing actress than Katie Holmes, who actually did an ok job with Rachel Dawes in Begins. Another character also makes a hugely implausible shift of demeanor, morality, and allegiance which was dealt with in an abrupt, almost off-hand way, made very little sense, and yet seemed to be taken with an enormous amount of seriousness by the filmmakers.

Was Ledger's performance Oscar-worthy? Maybe. But by and large I don't think I'd like to see a prestigious award given to this film which, when you really weigh it through all the explosions and dark camera shots, doesn't have much to offer other than the stark tale of a psychopath who raises the stakes so improbably high that it seems impossible anyone could make a third story in the same vein. I wish I could say it had some redeeming elements, but there aren't really very many. One or two scenes had some humor that rang true, but they are few and far between in this 2.5 hour endurance run which seemed to totter a little on the edge of its PG-13 rating.

Recommended? Nope, not really. I'll stick to Batman Begins and hope he ends here, or cleans up his act a little. If this is where Christopher Nolan wants to take the franchise, I'm not sure I want to follow along. In fact, let's just say it: the more I think about this movie, the less I like it. Can I have my seven bucks back now? Or 3 hours of my time, for that matter?

3 comments:

Breanna said...

That's too bad. I just saw Batman Begins for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was looking forward to The Dark Night. Now that I know how dark it is, I think I'll skip out on it.

Sir David M. said...

Well, that's Hollywood for you: leave it to them to spoil a perfectly good franchise by making a sequel. My personal movie experience of the day was much better--We Were Soldiers. But, you know, depraved villains are pretty much what the whole Batman universe is known for, so perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised. We were going to see TDK, but now I think I won't, at least not until the DVD comes out. Not that being dark is in and of itself enough to put me off a movie, but I've had quite enough of unrealistic and disjointed films of late.

Next time we talk you'll have to tell me more about this. I no longer have any aversion to spoilers. :-D

Anonymous said...

(This is Gillian, by the way...)

Oh, interesting... I came away with almost completely opposite impressions!

Yes, it is dark, and yes, it shows evil and depravity... but that's not the *point* of the movie! I found it hopeful rather than depressing - someone cared enough to battle the evil. There was hope at the end.

If The Dark Knight is not Oscar-worthy, what movie this year is? I left the theatre intensely moved; the story, the plot, the characters gripped me and drew me in so that I hardly noticed its length (except in the sheer range of emotions the film excited). All in all, it's one of the best movies I've seen for some time - and I liked it better than Batman Begins, which I loved.