Sunday, July 20, 2008

Guns, Catch, and Pizza

I had the chance to visit more friends this summer, this time going shooting with the Deckers. We had another gun in the mix this time, a Ruger revolver that can fire .357 Magnum, .38 Special, and 9mm. We only shot 9mm this time, but I hadn't fired any of the above rounds before, so it was new and fun. It was more powerful than I expected, too, though perhaps I only find it so because I'm the most used to .22. I also got to fire a 12-guage shotgun one-handed and use the same shotgun to rather spectacularly explode a water bottle.

I seem to remember a lot of movies where characters shoot guns while keeping the barrel on an entirely level plane. That has to mean they aren't really shooting anything. Revolvers and handguns buck when fired, however much you try to control it.

Anyway, after that we played frisbee and threw a baseball around for a while (it's amazing how consistently fun something as simple as catch can be). We ate pizza, Kristoff taught me some more martial arts moves, and then we watched the film Vantage Point, which had extremely simplistic character development--or, more accurately, no character development--but was a pretty fun action film. It was rather amusing to see Matthew Fox (Lost's Jack) playing a Secret Service agent. I had a good time. :-)

In other news, Monday will constitute what I hope to be a firm crackdown on my schedule so I can finish the Reformation Play and get plenty of piano practice done--and learn how to drive. Now that I'm 18 the restrictions go down somewhat, and I think it's about time I mastered the art. If anything especially interesting happens when I take the wheel, I'll let you know. ;-)

Cheerio!

1 comment:

Sir David M. said...

Curiously enough, we hope to watch Vantage Point sometime this coming week.

Your weekend sounds more fun than mine was. All I did was smoke a cigar. :-D

It is funny how movies so often make the same mistakes when it comes to weapons, or fighting in general, and in this day and age I imagine more than 50% of their audience doesn't even know. I'm pretty sure Gun Kata wouldn't work quite as smoothly in real life, unless they're supposed to have invented some sort of recoilless pistol. :-P