Monday, May 12, 2008

Author in Town

N. D. Wilson, son of Douglas Wilson and author of Leepike Ridge and 100 Cupboards, came to our local Barnes and Noble this evening, and we went over to hear him talk and get our copy of 100 Cupboards signed. He gave a nice little talk, and inadvertently gave me some good writing advice. He talked about his methods of note-taking and planning, and provided some insight on the editing and publishing world. For instance, he said that he has final control over the actual content of the book, but the cover is considered a marketing decision and is entirely up to the agency.

He remembered me when I brought up that I'd met him at NSA, and said my face looked familiar. That was eight months ago, so he has a pretty good memory. :-P It was a fun little event, and it's inspired to take better notes--or rather to start taking notes in general--and to work harder pounding my little sledgehammer against the adamant gates of agents and publishing houses.

1 comment:

Sir David M. said...

Ah! I wish I could have been there! :-P